Monday, July 30, 2012

Cheesy Pancakes with Corn and Avocado



The Ultimate Beta cooks! Notice I did not say "bakes", I said "cooks". Yes, I made dinner. I have only cooked dinner for the AlphaChef three, maybe four times in our nearly 13 years together. Seriously, we counted.

Always these were special occasions, starting with a lengthy, indecisive recipe search and shopping for special ingredients. It always culminated in an anxiety filled evening, which was so painful for us both, ultimately the AC steps in to save the day. This is why I make breakfast, although there is some timing involved, I can whip up some pancakes and serve. Easy, low stress.


Well, I guess change is good. It just hit me, the idea that my favorite cottage cheese and yogurt pancakes could be made savory. With corn and some kind of sauce. Avocado. Oh yeah, Lynn's Corn and Avocado Salad would be perfect. I can do this, I thought. And it worked. I wasn't stressed out at all.

After sampling, The AC said, "If I got this in a restaurant I'd be pleased..." WHAT???? Arguably the best compliment he has ever paid me.


 I have to say, this is a proud development. I am finally understanding the joy of cooking. After all these years, it's a bit exciting. This does not mean the Ultimate Beta is a cook, but it means I have potential and that makes me smile.

The pancakes are based on the first recipe ever posted on this blog. Based on a Bittman recipe, they are tangy, sweet and full of protein. Since this was dinner, I cut the recipe into a quarter, so we had two small cakes each. We happened to have an abundance of corn, so I added some to the batter. Also added some shallots, fresh parsley, basil, garlic and black pepper. This is very flexible, you could add any herbs and spices. I cut the sugar out.


Cheesy Corn Pancakes
1/4 c large curd 4% fat cottage cheese
1/4 c  fage greek yogurt 2%
1/4 c flour
1 egg yolk
2 egg whites
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/2 shallot, diced
1 small sprig fresh parsley, minced
1 small sprig lemon basil, minced
1/2 clove garlic, minced
a pinch of salt, black pepper to preference
kernels of 1 small corn cob
unsalted butter for pan frying

1. Place a frying pan over med-high heat.
2. In a largish mixing bowl, combine the cottage cheese, yogurt and egg yolk.
3. Mix the flour and baking powder in another bowl and dump into the first.
4. Stir in the corn, add the herbs, garlic and shallots (as below).
5. Add a small amount of salt and a healthy bit of black pepper.
6. Beat the egg whites until distinct and fold into the batter.
7. Add butter to the frying pan, scoop 1/4 cup amounts of batter onto the frying pan, make sure you take a bit of the egg white each time. Turn when golden.


Avocado/Corn Chutney
1/2 large avocado, cubed
kernels from 1 small corn cob
1 small sprig parsley, minced
1/2 shallot, minced
juice of 1/4 lime
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp sherry vinegar
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp sugar
salt and black pepper to taste
Add lucky's habenero hot sauce at the end if desired

Just dump it all into a bowl and mix.

I served the cakes smothered in the chutney. Yes, I realize I'm stating the obvious here (I'm frequently accused of over-emphasizing points by my employees, guess they're right). The crispy, buttery, cheesy, tangy goodness, covered by the fresh, crisp corn and creamy avocado was quite fabulous, if I don't say so myself...

No comments: