Sunday, March 6, 2011

He Cooks...She Cooks

Breakfast is very important in our house. Pretty much any cured pork with eggs, oatmeal or pancakes will do. Featured is an english muffin topped with a fried egg, gouda, carmelized onion and confit of soppresata. I am a very lucky woman.

Breakfast is also the only meal I really get to cook, as it is probably the only time Alpha has little energy to micro-manage. My specialty is pancakes. These are my favorite. Made with sour cream and cottage cheese, lightened with beaten egg whites. Pre-heat a skillet on medium high. Take 1 cup sour cream or yogurt, 1 cup cottage cheese, mix together with 2 egg yokes. In a separate bowl, mix 1 cup flour, 1/4 tsp baking powder, a pinch of salt. Mix with wet ingredients. Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry, fold into batter so they are incorporated, but still distinct. When the skillet is hot, add butter to the pan, when bubbly, spoon batter by the tablespoon with a bit of the egg white in each spoonful. Serve immediately with maple syrup or fruit preserves. Variations: I have added blueberries to the wet ingredients, lemon or orange zest is also very good. I have tried substituting ricotta for the cottage cheese, but it made the batter too heavy, I like the old school, Old Home full milkfat cottage cheese in the blue container. Spices like cinnamon, nutmeg are also nice additions. Although these are lighter than expected, they are still a meal in themselves, I'll usually skip bacon.

1 comment: